3.6.06

missing Moscow already

Hello people,

I am still in Moscow but not for long now. I am leaving tomorrow and I feel sad already. I spent the last 4 days in Saint-Petersbourg and I missed Moscow like crazy.

I have been so impressed by the city that I completely forgot to tell you what I've been doing these last 2 weeks, the places I've seen...

Well, I have visited all the monuments a good tourist should visit: the Red Square (which is more a rectangle than a square apparently, I didn't know!) with all its highlights: the cathedral of St-Basile, Lenin's mausoleum (I've never been so close to his embalmed corpse before, shame I couldn't see it though), Goum and so on. I saw lots of churches and monasteries (really beautiful places). We visited the Kremlin and the treasures museum where I saw the famous Orlov diamond (nice!!!!) and other unusual things like funny shaped gold nuggets that the russian emperor ordered to keep as a national treasure: so there's a chicken, a horse's head among other things. Funny ...

We have been to Arbat Street and new Arbat street for shopping. We have also walked on Tverskaia Street. We have seen the paleontology museum which was virtually untouched since soviet times. It's a bit old and left in a poor state of maintenance. It was full of kids, the only visitors still impressed by these old bones. And there was us too. I saw a mammoth for the first time.

In russian museums, it is full of old ladies watching the visitors. It is kinda creepy. It is the same in every museum we've been, small, big, still the same old women staring. They tell you off if you take pictures (sometimes you have to pay extra for taking pictures), if you touch the walls or if you speak on the phone. They scared me!

:: listening to Dima Bilan "Never let you go"

No comments: